Saturday, February 21, 2009

SA MTB #2 Mankele, Nelspruit

On Wednesday evening the team had to stay over at Johann's house because the plan was to depart in the early hours of Thursday morning. Woke up all packed and ready to go camping, we left at 4am. The trip was very long. We got there around 12pm. We unpacked, put up our tents and went off to check out the track. The track had been altered from what it was last year. It had more easy flowing singletrack and an awesome desending rock garden. The track was also a bit muddy because it had been raining for the past week.
Race day arrived with us all filled with pre-race nerves. I knew that the track was going to be hard so i never went out fast. On my first lap going through the rock garden i took the wrong line resulting in me hitting a rock and i got a puncture. I then had to run to the tech zone where i got a spare front wheel from Kim Phillips. By this time i had dropped to 24th overall. I had to push hard and I did in fact have such a great time riding out there. In the end i managed to finish 9th overall. My team mate James reid had such an amazing race as he finish with a fantastic 1st overall. Congrats.
The next national is coming up and we will be travelling down to George where i'm hoping to have a podium finish this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment